JUNE 11, 2013
Developer Education Table Talks: Powered by PechaKucha
Software development is one of the fastest growing industries in the country, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting a 30% increase in jobs by 2020, more than double the average growth rate for all occupations. We’ve certainly seen an explosion in Chicago’s tech scene over the past several years, and along with this goes the issue of education. Who is going to train this next wave of developers, and what are the best teaching tools? How can we use mentorship to promote continued learning and improvement internally, and ensure current devs stay on top of the latest technologies and innovations? How will we reach groups typically under-represented in the dev world, like lower income individuals, certain ethnic minorities, and women?
At Table XI we’ve been thinking a lot about the role of education and mentorship in this community. On Thursday, June 13, for our June Table Talks: Developer Education, we’ll be hearing PechaKucha-style presentations from some of Chicago’s best:
- Ray Hightower, organizer of ChicagoRuby and WindyCityRails - @rayhightower
- Paul Pagel, CEO and Co-founder of 8th Light - @paulwpagel
- Vince Cabansag, Director of Operations at The Starter League - @vcabansag
- Michael D. Hall, Founder of UGtastic - @just3ws
- Mike Busch, Instructor at Dev Bootcamp - @mikelikesbikes
- Isaac Sanders, Table XI development intern and mentor at Dev Bootcamp - @isaacsanders
Stay tuned for these presentations on this channel, and in the meantime follow along at #TableTalks.