For those of you who are completely at a loss on how to create a PechaKucha presentation....
Here are a few pointers: (copied and summed up from several different sites mostly here: http://blog.indezine.com/2012/05/10-tips-to-create-and-present-pecha.html
For a cool video on how to organize a talk…. Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1Jnx51pW0
- Choose a simple topic Many times, presenters get tempted to choose complicated topics that need so many facts to be explained even before you get to the topic. Let’s face it – not everything in this world is simple enough to be explained in less than 7 minutes. But you can simplify your topic, or you can choose another topic that is simple enough to be explained within that time frame. Once you have chosen a topic, leave out the un-required and focus on your message – you should be able to condense the gist of your entire message in one, simple line. Then elaborate as required.
- Start with an outline As with generic presentations that are not limited to Pecha Kucha’s 20x20 rule, you should start with an outline. You can call your outline a structure, a story, etc. CYou can uses 3 x 5 inch note cards for your main ideas. Restrict yourself to one idea per card, thus each card represents a potential slide. Under each main idea, jot down 3 quick sentences about that idea.
- Tweak your outline It’s now time to reorder the content in your outline. Then remove what is not required – you may also want to combine some parts of the outline into one slide, or divide others as required. Whatever you do, think about your audience – you must include what they would like to hear rather than what you want to say. Strong visual images should be selected to go with each topic. you can develope your story by rearranging the note cards.
- Make your slides Add pictures to your slides that are relevant to what you will speak about. The most successful Pecha Kuchas don't use much, if any text. Most often, your text content will be restricted to your slide titles. You should end up with 20 slides -- play and watch them. Do the slides build up well with your message, one after the other? If the answer is no, then go back and redo them until you are happy – there's no sense in moving beyond this step unless you are happy with the content and sequencing of your slides.
Then practice as much as you can. And practice again..
- Practice Practice so you know one or two points that each slide brings to your story naturally. You can perform free-form easy if you know what you absolutely need to include to support your upcoming points.".
- To Animate To animate or not? Let’s just say…. Don’t J Your story is much more important that the image dancing on the screen behind you distracting your audience.
- Practice again Yes, it is time to practice again. With less than 7 minutes to present, you can afford to practice more often. Even if you end up using 2 or 3 minutes more in a Pecha Kucha presentation, that won't be acceptable or even possible using the format -- so you must have time on your side, right down to the minutest level. That sort of sync with your slides can only be achieved with repeated practice.
- Love your audience He added: "With all this focus on the mechanical and your presence it's easy to forget to really talk to the audience. Make contact, converse, be warm, and be human. It's one of the more intimate presentation styles if you let it be."
- Everything else You already heard about the benefits of practicing but remember to let your free flow work as well -- depend 80% on practice and a script, but let the other 20% of being free within a framework also work for you! So in effect you will know your slides like the back of your hand, but you should be able to move your hands as you like.