MAY 13, 2013
A collectively presented Pecha Kucha
At our March 2013 event, PKN Coventry Vol 12, we tried a new twist on the improvised Pecha Kucha presentation. To fit with our theme of "The 10 things I would do to make Coventry a better place", I prepared 20 slides - images of aspects of Coventry. In the interval, cards showing one of these images were randomly handed out to people in the audience, with the request that they come up with one (20 second) 'thing' inspired by that image to add into the presentation. Here is an short version of the list of the things the audience came up with:
1. (image of the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum) Open for longer and later. Still free entry and expand the programme of groups using the space.
2. (image of the Cathedrals) Open up the recently discovered 14th Century crypts and let people see the bodies!
3. (image of the Ellen Terry Building) Bring back the cinema for the public!
4. (image of alleyway by Druckers off Hertford Street) Make sure the lights always work and it's safe to use.
5. (image of ring road flyovers by sports centre) Get the chicken knitters (as mentioned in Richard Tomlinson's PK earlier) to knit some socks for the ring road legs...(yarnbombing!)
6. (image of the river at the back of Palmer Lane) Open up the river.
7. (image of back of sports centre) I'm amazed that these used to be steps up to a restaurant!
8. (image of the side of St Mary's Guild Hall) Keep the heritage weekend.
9. (image of County Hall) More independent, and less w*nk bars!
10. (image of timbered former tourist info building next to Holy Trinity) Should be Tourist Info and a tourist destination.
11. (gate near Bishop St) This is near the Refugee Centre. The Refugee Centre has been welcoming refugees for more than 10 years, but it had to remain hidden for a long time. The refugees that have settled here over the last 10 years are now making a huge impact in the city. Reinvention, positivity and social value.
12. (image of the precinct) We should all be 'Poogilantes' to prevent people from stepping in undesirable poo on pavements, always carry a chalk to circle, label and help others avoid!
13. (image of stairs near Coventry Market) Step into Coventry Market - Coventry is full of interesting buildings, spaces, nooks and crannies. Go and explore - and champion - them.
14. (image of the circular cafe in the Lower Precinct) Create a public painting - or guerilla weaving workshop here. Cover it in colour.
15. (image of Cullen ceramic mural in the Lower Precinct) Give more jobs to glass blowers, artists and other people who put the colour in.
16. (image of public artwork in Shelton Square) Make a hidden art trail - so people can find these.
17. (image of former Evening Telegraph building) Offer this building to artists and craftsmen...
18. (image of Whitefriars Monastery from the subway) Crowdsource some citizen photos of Coventry - what its people see as beautiful - and use these as the images on official council and other establishments websites. An ever-changing selection which showcases current events and developments and maybe even engenders civic pride!
19. (image of graffitti) A paint amnesty.
20 (image of the cross on the ground of the Priory Place visitor centre garden) Coventry obviously needs more pirates - there's buried treasure here that needs digging up....!